The Google-backed RCS universal messaging standard is set to roll out on the Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL, starting December 6.
Although Verizon already supports ‘rich’ texting features like ‘read’ receipts in its own Messages+ app, the Universal RCS Profile will ensure that these features work as intended when messaging people on other carriers.
- Send larger text messages. Create larger messages up to 8000 characters long. With Android Messages Chat, you’re no longer limited to 160 characters.
- Typing indicators. See when your contact is typing a conversation.
- Read receipts. See when your message has been read.
- Large chat groups. Create group chats with up to 100 participants who also have chat features enabled.
- High-quality media sharing. Share pictures and videos in high-quality.
- Chat over WiFi. You can send messages over WiFi, even when you don’t have a cellular connection.
- Large transfer files. Send larger attachments than ever before.
To take advantage of advanced messaging, all parties need to have “Chat” enabled on their Pixel 3 phones. Otherwise, rich text messages will fall back to SMS/MMS. Everyone will still get to read the messages, but you won’t see any ‘read’ receipts and media may be missing.